Sunday, January 6, 2008

Love and Respect

Wow!!! I picked up a book at the library by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs called "Love and Respect." It is how to make a marriage stronger by following the principles of the bible. Now I'm surely not the most religious person I know but I do have strong beliefs and I was amazed by how much in this book is resonating within me.

I came across the book by accident, when I was looking for the "Fat Smash" diet in the new books in the library. I saw it and the byline, "The love she most desires, the respect he desperately needs, hit me like a ton of bricks. See my husband and I had and extremely rough patch just a little over a year ago. Things are better but I still don't feel as connected with my love as I'd like to.

The whole principle of this book is that if a husband feels respected, he will in turn give a wife the love she needs. As I read this today, I was amazed when I realized how snide and disrespectful I often am. I find myself saying things like, "how could you not see the chips they are right in the front of the cupboard." At the same time I would snear and laugh like he's some kind of idiot. Then I would be hurt when he didn't treat me like a princess. Whoa, time for a little reevalution of my behavior.

So on that note, when I set the table for lunch today, T. asked me if I had warmed the daughter's lasagna. Well there was steam coming off the food, and I wanted to say, "does it look warm to you?" But, I caught myself just in time and sweetly replied, "yep, it's warmed up." I don't know if it really made any difference to him, but I feel like a made a difference in my own thought patterns.

To change the subject, school starts tomorrow. My house is clean, I have a schedule that seems doable and I'm motivated... until I get tired. I'm worried that my perfect plan will fall apart when I go to school and not only have to worry about my families needs, but also those of my 20 little angels at school. My perfect plan will be out the window, my house will be in shambles, I'll be tired and impatient and my children will not get the love and support they need. I don't want to fail. Hopefully, I can blog in a week that my house if perfect and I've kept up on my routines. Wish me luck!!

I got my master's degree in the mail yesterday. It's amazing that the little piece of paper, makes a difference in my own pride. I knew 2 months ago that I was done with classes, that I had fulfilled all the expectations I needed to to graduate. But getting that diploma in the mail, YES!!! Icing on the cake!

We had an amazing conversation at the table last night. A. (DD#3) asked me if she had been a good baby. I replied that she was the most miserable baby that I had ever seen, she cried all the time. She then sweetly asked, "but, did you love me even when I was crying?" I told her that even when she was screaming she was still one of the most beautiful babies in the world. All she said was, "thank you, Mama" and gave me a kiss. We then went around the table DD#2, R., said that she knew she was a good sleeper, but didn't like to ride. And DS#1, J., said that he just wanted to eat all the time. What wonderful memories!!! And many more to be made....

Until next time...

No comments: